Ravel Morrison Watch

Mame Biram Diouf

By Luke Edwards9:18PM BST 30 Aug 2013

When Mike Phelan was asked this week why Ravel Morrison failed to make the grade at Manchester United, he replied: “It was something that was going on between his ears.”

Phelan, Sir Alex Ferguson’s assistant at Old Trafford, was referring to the 20-year-old’s notoriously troubled private life. Rated one of the finest English prospects of his generation, and potentially United’s most gifted youth product since Paul Scholes, Morrison left the club to join West Ham United last year having come closer to a spell in prison than to a Premier League start.

That Ferguson, whose career had been built on trusting and developing exceptional young talent, conceded defeat over Morrison was an indication of just how wayward the winger from Salford was considered to be, his potential apparently drowning in a deluge of court appearances and confrontational messages issued via Twitter.

RELATED ARTICLES

West Ham United v Stoke City: match preview

Premier League Transfer Talk

Newcastle United v West Ham United: match preview

But when Morrison (pictured) used West Ham’s low key Capital One Cup tie against Cheltenham on Tuesday night to remind English football of his exceptional talent, it was not just a sign that he was growing up.

It was also thanks to a major improvement in something else lying between his ears: his teeth. It has emerged that as well as being held back by his problems off the field, Morrison’s footballing development has been restricted by chronic tooth and gum trouble which has had a knock-on effect on his general fitness.

After treatment during the summer understood to have cost a sum well into five figures, Morrison’s man-of-the match performance in Tuesday’s cup-tie hinted he may now be ready to have an impact in the Premier League, and even beyond.

Birmingham manager Lee Clark, who had Morrison on loan last season, said: “Sam Allardyce is big on sport science and when there are problems with your teeth, infection and pain, it can cause problems elsewhere in your body. He had one or two problems with infected gums. I know he had some surgery over the summer to rectify those problems and it's just another sign of Ravel taking on board what is required for him to become the player he should be.”

Morrison himself insists he has now reached maturity, tweeting last week: “I am a changed man. Don’t judge me on my past. Respect me for who I am and how I’ve developed.”

The maturing process began during the loan spell under Clark at Birmingham. Allardyce said Morrison took a pay cut to move to St Andrew’s.

The West Ham manager said: “That spoke volumes for him to say to me, ‘I want to play first team football and I will take less money to do it’.

“I don’t think I have seen that for 15, 20 years, Birmingham couldn’t afford his wages, we made a slight commitment and he made quite a big commitment.”

Clark added: “I first saw him when he was 15 playing for Manchester United’s youth team against Huddersfield. He was unbelievable, the best young player I’d ever seen, so when I had the chance to take him on loan I jumped at it.

“There were times when I was at the end of my tether, he knows that. He was hard work and a constant challenge, but worth it. We had our clashes, but every time you could see a little reaction in him.

“For me, he’s the best young player this country has produced since Paul Gascoigne, not that he knew who Gazza was when I said that to him. Not out of disrespect, he just isn’t interested in history.”

Comparisons to players such as Gascoigne were commonplace during Morrison prodigious youth career at Old Trafford. Allardyce plans to do all he can to ensure Morrison does not lose his head should fresh hyperbole accompany his recent improvement.

He said: “We have Lee Richardson, who is a fully-qualified sports psychologist, who could help him in that line – managing the euphoria if it comes his way. Many young players slip away off the rails and it is about the prevention of that, trying to spot it before it happens, rather than a cure for it.”

Those at Manchester United still remember the Morrison who so exasperated Ferguson, and who came within a whisker of being sent to prison for witness intimidation. Who, in 2011, having been named substitute for a reserve game, tweeted: “P---take. I can’t wait til the end of the season.”

Morrison’s insubordination earned a rebuke from Wayne Rooney. “It might come sooner than you think,” Rooney replied.

United are convinced the move to London and away from his hometown of Manchester has helped Morrison grow up. Allardyce, who is likely to use him at some point during Saturday’s game against Stoke, said: “We’re all delighted to see his performance against Cheltenham and, in particular, his goal. He’s making a big statement now.

“From a midfield point of view, Mark Noble, Kevin Nolan and Mo Diame – watch out, this boy’s after your place. His experience at Birmingham was really for him because he felt leaving Man United that he would be walking into West Ham’s teams and then when he came to West Ham he quickly realised he wasn’t going to be able to walk into our team. The lad has grown up, that’s the key element.”

That and the trip to the dentist.

big sam out

• 1 month later...

West Ham striker Ricardo Vaz Te says team-mate Ravel Morrison is the ‘biggest talent he has ever seen’.

The former Manchester United trainee continued his eye-catching form with his third goal this season in the first minute of the Hammers’ 3-2 Capital One Cup victory at home to Cardiff last night.

Morrison was let go by Sir Alex Ferguson at Old Trafford for disciplinary reasons but after spending last season on loan at Birmingham appears to have matured.

And having already won considerable praise from manager Sam Allardyce and the Irons’ fans this term, now Vaz Te has joined in the chorus of approval for the 20-year-old.

Vaz Te told the Evening Standard: ‘Ravel is the biggest talent I have ever seen and I have played with players such as Nani.

‘It’s up to him to become as good as he can be.

‘He has to stay focused, keep improving, keep learning, he has to show the desire and commitment because in this life you can’t settle, you have to strive for more. It’s up to him.’