Girls too black for DSTRKT / Fridge too black for Brixton

Ephren Taylor

partygoers.jpg

A GROUP of young black women have taken on a high end West End nightclub after two members of their party were allegedly turned away for being "too fat" and "too dark".

Details of the incident, which took place at DSTRKT on Saturday night (Sept 26), have been shared widely across social media.

It has prompted other black women to come forward with their own stories of discriminatory treatment at the hands of door staff.

The group of four women made their way to the nightclub on the understanding that their names were on the guest list and with the promise of a table.

Zalika Miller, 26, an up-and-coming actress from north London said: "Prior to us actually getting to the club, the [promoter] wanted pictures of the girls that my friend was going to bring. He basically said, if she was going to bring black girls then they’ve got to be of 'a certain calibre'. She sent him pictures of me and another girl that was coming and I guess he gave his approval."

After arriving at approximately 10.15pm, the young women were subjected to the scrutiny of an ambiguous door policy.

They claim a club employee at the door disappeared into the venue – where they have a video monitor – to verify whether someone can be ‘admitted’ into the club.

"I remember even saying I’m not even going to bother to take my ID out because I bet she's going to come back out and tell us some rubbish excuse," Miller, who starred in the Brothers With No Game web series, said.

The group was declined entry and told the club was at full capacity only to watch in shock as other women were allowed to enter after them.

DSTRKT, in Rupert Street, is described as an award-winning bar and boasts celebrity guests including Jay Z, Rihanna and Drake.

Miller continued: "The promoter went to the door girl and asked why she wasn’t letting us in and she just said, ‘I don’t think they’re good looking enough’."

In an exchange of messages with the DSTRKT promoter, the women say they were explicitly told they were declined entry because one of the girls was “too dark” and another was “overweight”.

After sharing the incident on social media encouraging other stories of door discrimination, the panicked promoter reached out to one member of the group. 

TEXT_2.jpg
PANIC: A screengrab of the message sent to one of Miller's group

He wrote: “Are [you] trying to make me [lose my job]!? If your two girls are [too] overweight to get in the club that’s how it is. What the hell are you doing?”

However, another member of staff who was working this past weekend has also stepped forward to corroborate the accusation.

Brooke Norton, who is white, shared via social media how friends she had invited to the club were subject to similar treatment.

She claims she was told by a senior member of staff that she shouldn't invite "too many black girls" next time.

Norton wrote: “I work for DSTRKT, I promote in DSTRKT, on Friday when I was working at DSTRKT I actually took my personal friends and put them on my table. There [were] two white girls in the queue in front of us and they got in for free but they made my black friends pay to get in.

“When I finished work on Friday at DSTRKT, I was told not to bring so many black girls on my table next time and I should only really have light skin girls, Indian girls or white girls. That to me is f***ing discrimination.”

She added: “I won’t be promoting there [any] more that’s for sure, they took money out of my pay for that night cause they didn’t count one of my black friend as a guest. So, so bad.”

screenshot_2_0.jpg
COMING FORWARD: Other women have been sharing their stories on social media

Campaigners have called for Chris Brown’s former girlfriend, Karruche Tran, to cancel her scheduled appearance at the nightclub tomorrow night (Sep 29).

The Voice has reached out to DSTRKT for a statement in response to the allegations and a clarification on its door policy.

Some things will never change

Dunno why people go to places where they are not wanted

!!!!!!!

Never understood this.

Countless times I see bruhs arguing with bouncers for not letting them in a rave.

Not condoning what happened. But Regardless of how high up the ladder you get to. Certain circles would always give you a little reminder where you are from.

As other have said they know the drill. I don't know why you would want to go to a place you are not tolerated. Personally for me I like to be in clubs with black people just ashame allot of our spots have gone. Club 19, Palace Pavillion, Club EQ, Temple, Leasure Lounge etc

• Upvote 2

Usualy some fat fuck sitting in an office looking at the cctv

Usualy some fat f*ck sitting in an office looking at the cctv

Yup

Had this a few times

"Manager on cctv said you're banned from last time "

" I haven't been here before"

"listen mate it's not my decision"

"but I just traveled all the way here and I haven't been before "

" listen mate stop causing trouble and leave I'm just doing what I'm told"

Was a long, sobering journey home. Told myself never again.

• Upvote 5

Usualy some fat f*ck sitting in an office looking at the cctv

Yup

Had this a few times

"Manager on cctv said you're banned from last time "

" I haven't been here before"

"listen mate it's not my decision"

"but I just traveled all the way here and I haven't been before "

" listen mate stop causing trouble and leave I'm just doing what I'm told"

Was a long, sobering journey home. Told myself never again.

This is ridiculously accurate  :rofl:

Venting thread know my bouncer troubles

Had some horrible rejections and a couple safe bouncers telling me the real reason ( or lying to make me feel better )

Always gotta try get guest list if I'm going somewhere I haven't been before

Some people don't under stand the pain

1 of my guys has seen my woes for a decade and got rejected once recently boy game changer

Me an my friend got turned away from one a of these dusty cocktail in a jam jar bars in Brixton

Too full apparently but the bouncer saw us from up the road an i saw him make his decision

I'd even been in there before when it was empty early evening.

We had to go satay bar

On this matter too fat or too dark are both fuckry policies. But I'd never go to a place that requested pics of us before hand. How do people even enjoy themselves in these places with that level of pretentiousness

• Upvote 1

unless you are getting a table or two man up or are on good terms with the club owner/ security etc 

you are not getting ino mayfair/ west end clubs

the black girl things has been gong on for time 

end of the day business is business 

these clubs have a rep to maintain and chubby nappy headed hoes is not conducive to that rep

• Downvote 1

If she was a worldie, shouldn't have been turfed.

I know BLACK women that get into these sort of places with ease, tables and that paid for.

Not suggesting that race plays no part but I'm sorry, you're going to clubs predicated on a superficial standard and are surprised that they reserve the right to reject you on superficial grounds?

• Downvote 3