THE TRAVEL THREAD

Lofa

U can't ask what is dam saying

Everybody knows what it's saying

Tbh dam is dead now, the whole smoking things played out, get better weed in the ends.

I would go tenerife instead, same ps plus u get 27c sun, and they got coffee shops like dam

This would interest me the Coffee shops legal can just walk in and blaze?

Use to go Tenerife as a kid use to stay at playa de americas prefer to go there than dam if it is a blazing thing

yeah is it members only curtis?

Dam is decent

Never ending sprawl of zany pubs and shops

It ain't cheap tho but u should do it

Better for groups smaller than 5

Every where's small so big groups it gets awkward

Obvs ur bored of dam @ that other bra

U lot basically lived in voyagers ini stay in in frauded hotel rooms I'm assuming

U go Barcelona or whenever u can get a 'weed card' or whatever u call it very easy, sell em on the street, my bro had no issue n he's an idiot

I assume it's similar around all Spain n the islands now

Had sixteen months in Asia over two trips, teacher/travelling (North Thailand>Cambodia>Vietnam>Nepal>India>Indonesia>South Thailand>Myanmar>Beijng (just there and the Great wall)

Planing on flying to Cali in October to hit harvest season and work doing some bud trimming, over land in to Mexico, fly to Peru, do Machu Picchu, buy motorbikes ad ride from Peru through Bolivia in to Brazil before going to Colombia to work for a year.

Damn what an experience. Bet you got some tales to tell

Went to sunny beach (party place) .. Was alright, extremely cheap for alcohol, can get 10 shots of tequila for about £1 our money, the females are the best Iv seen from any country Iv been to (the Bulgarians.. Quite a lot of Swedish girls too).. The local men aren't friendly at all, you can tell they hate you being there but accept it for the money you bring, don't think I ever saw a Bulgarian man smile and you get gypos called 'cherry pickers' who walk around with a cherry, chuck it at you and if it touches you they'll surround you and demand money, luckily at the time we outnumbered them so a bit of base in the voice done the trick but Iv heard horrible stories from other people/reps about people not paying.. The night life was busy but the reps tried to keep us in the English friendly places because the local places are meant to be dangerous but we went to them anyway and they were a lot better.. Not sure about now because a few political things have changed but when I went the whole city was run by the Albanian mafia, you would see X6's and then Porsche jeeps pull up outside hotels and guys with guns and suits would walk in, you would see massive mansions next to tiny shacks, it seemed like you were either rich or really poor.. No inbetween

Over all it was a good holiday for the price but with soo many other countries to visit I doubt I'll ever go back.. I work with an older guy who has a house over there and he loves it, he's going to retire there but I'm not sure what city his property is in

Venice - thinking of booking it for me and the mrs. Anybody been? What's it saying? Is is as pricey as everyone seems to say? (albeit these people that mention it have never been).

Went to Milan a while back and loved it, but don't wanna go the same place twice so if anyone is well informed please recommend elsewhere in Italy if Venice is a bit shitty

Ta

U can't ask what is dam saying

Everybody knows what it's saying

Tbh dam is dead now, the whole smoking things played out, get better weed in the ends.

I would go tenerife instead, same ps plus u get 27c sun, and they got coffee shops like dam

This would interest me the Coffee shops legal can just walk in and blaze?

Use to go Tenerife as a kid use to stay at playa de americas prefer to go there than dam if it is a blazing thing

yeah is it members only curtis?

Yh its member clubs but you just pay 50 euro to join for the year, quite few clubs are english guys so they let the resident only rule slide

Went to sunny beach (party place) .. Was alright, extremely cheap for alcohol, can get 10 shots of tequila for about £1 our money, the females are the best Iv seen from any country Iv been to (the Bulgarians.. Quite a lot of Swedish girls too).. The local men aren't friendly at all, you can tell they hate you being there but accept it for the money you bring, don't think I ever saw a Bulgarian man smile and you get gypos called 'cherry pickers' who walk around with a cherry, chuck it at you and if it touches you they'll surround you and demand money, luckily at the time we outnumbered them so a bit of base in the voice done the trick but Iv heard horrible stories from other people/reps about people not paying.. The night life was busy but the reps tried to keep us in the English friendly places because the local places are meant to be dangerous but we went to them anyway and they were a lot better.. Not sure about now because a few political things have changed but when I went the whole city was run by the Albanian mafia, you would see X6's and then Porsche jeeps pull up outside hotels and guys with guns and suits would walk in, you would see massive mansions next to tiny shacks, it seemed like you were either rich or really poor.. No inbetween

Over all it was a good holiday for the price but with soo many other countries to visit I doubt I'll ever go back.. I work with an older guy who has a house over there and he loves it, he's going to retire there but I'm not sure what city his property is in

draw any chicks out there?

draw any chicks out there?
Couple English and 1 Swedish.. It was an 18-30s thing so the English is pretty much guarenteed.. The Bulgarian men are very protective over the Bulgarian women, seems almost impossible

Venice - thinking of booking it for me and the mrs. Anybody been? What's it saying? Is is as pricey as everyone seems to say? (albeit these people that mention it have never been).

went for a day to meet some mates when we were staying in bologna

didnt do much but 1 big tourist trap imo

cost a bit for a pint n a meal, obviously ull find some cheaper places if u hunt

the boat selfie made it worth it tho

but i'd recommend elsewhere

if u go bologna ull have bags of stuff to do, great food, real italian city, loadsa student aimed bars n clubs, and venice is like 2 hour train away max, could stay for a couple nights if u like then dip back to bologna

i'd say u do that

My mums side are Venetian so I go there a lot

Venice island itself is a tourist trap as mentioned but its one of them places that you need to experience just to tick of your list.

The food is sub par as it caters for tourists and in the summer the place smells because of the sewage. 

However in saying that the best food I have ever had in a restaurant were in Venice in the surrounding areas in the suburbs. But of course I wouldnt expect a non tourist to be traversing them sides.

/

For a similar/better experience I would recommend Bruges. It has the canals and scenic historic buildings without being rammed full of tourists and is far more intimate. More importantly the food is so much better. 

If you like galleries, C/O and Hamburger Bahnhof are good, check their websites to see whats on, but also here for loads of listings around the city http://www.indexberlin.de

East Side Gallery is always on the visitor checklist.

A few bars I can think of that are decent off the top of my head are Geist Im Glass, Mein Haus Am See, Suß War Gestern, Das Hotel.

The city's not bad for live music, you can check out listings on Koka36.de

Get the Foursquare app or check the website and you'll find loads of nice restaurants (and other bars), I'm not great with names but its usually dependable if you go for something 8+ on there - loads of nice Vietnamese and Italian places around the city, generally don't trust Indian places to deliver though, German cuisine is pretty "meh" I've found.

If you feel like getting streetfood: Chai Wallahs do the nicest naan wrap I've ever had, Lilly Burger do the best burger I've had, Mustafas (chicken doner) will make you rethink the idea of what a kebab is.

If you want mobile internet get yourself an Aldi Talk sim (10€ for 1.5GB or 15€ for 5GB) from an Aldi store (you'll need an internet connection to activate it though)

Respect

Where should I be looking to stay? Which area? hotel or airbnb etc?

And what sort of prices should I be looking at for flights?

Appreciate the help

Flights just check what you can on Skyscanner and Google Flights, depending on what days but it should be in the range of £50-100 return.

AirBnb is good.

Area, I'd probably recommend somewhere east-Kreuzberg. Kotbusser Tor (U-bahn station) is a good centre point to a lot of the city nightlife/restaurants/cafes/etc hotspots so get a decent connection to there and you're bless. Saying that, you can still get decent connections to there from other areas, which might look nicer. Just see if you can find a place with a nice cafe for the morning and a relatively close U-bahn station really, transport is relatively easy then.

• 2 weeks later...

ok so don't go to Krakow (or probably anywhere in Poland) for Easter - everywhere's a little too closed

saying that, the town is pretty nice, friendly people, cheap drinks, and I had some real nice food - try Sąsiedzi for some real nice perogi (as well as other typical restaurant dishes) and Alechemia for something different

I don't think I'd recommend for more than a weekend though

Was thinking if going there but i need serious convincing, whats the nightlife like at a time thats not easter or summer hols

its a student city right ? 

not sure I'll do Poland again any time soon tbh, I have Prague, Budapest and Amsterdam that are like at the top of the list

(Krakow never was really on the list but if someone suggests a cheap road trip its easy to get on board)

no prob, enjoy dude

for Tuesdays there's this weekly jazz jam session at this bar called Edelweiss (which is on Görlitzer park) which runs to probably after 2am is a bit of an experience I haven't got anywhere else in this continent, everyone in 20s and 30s really getting into jazz + depending on who shows up you can really get an awesome show of seeing jazz played with some real soul (ie by black people)

really good for if you don't want a night of heavy clubbing

also if you're here on Saturday there's Burgers and Hiphop at Prince Charles (club) which starts at 3PM with a few of the hottest burger joints (they rotate every few months) serving food till about 11 I think, then the party continues till morning inside https://www.facebook.com/events/1680748048866289/

Went to Madrid with the mrs at the start of the month. Relaxed city, had a good time but wouldn't go back. We tried to do a 'main activity' per day then do other stuff around it. Day one we went to the palace. Not normally into that stuff but it was stunning inside and well worth 8 quid.20160309_171629.jpg?psid=1

Day two we went to the zoo. Probably the best zoo I've been to. Pandas, hippos etc. Short tram ride out, but the underground is clean, safe and cheap. About £1.20 for a single trip.

20160308_115318.jpg?psid=1

Day 3 we went to the Bernabeu, tour was £15 each and it was pitchside, dressing rooms etc. Mrs doesn't like football but still enjoyed it.

20160309_101355.jpg?psid=1

Day 4 we went to the park on the edge of the city. Good atmosphere and nice to walk around for a few hours.

20160310_101357.jpg?psid=1

We went for 4 nights, and it cost £150 each for flights (with a case) and an apartment bang in the centre. Ate some good food and drank some good beer. Was surprised at the price of things over there, was budgeting for a similar cost to the UK but it is much cheaper. There were places you could get a pint for £1.20 and get free tapas with it.

Never seen so many prostitutes, night and day in the most public places. Shopping was quite good, some good Spanish retailers there. Like a couple of you said, barely anybody speaks English. We got by with basic manners, numbers and greetings without any major hiccups (just overtipping by mistake).

20160310_103051.jpg?psid=120160310_142953.jpg?psid=120160310_145257.jpg?psid=120160307_134324.jpg?psid=120160307_113735.jpg?psid=120160307_100851.jpg?psid=120160307_093002.jpg?psid=120160306_213105.jpg?psid=1